Deutsches Institut für Japanstudien nav lang search
Deutsches Institut für Japanstudien



Deutsches Institut für Japanstudien
Jochi Kioizaka Bldg. 2F
7-1 Kioicho, Chiyoda-ku
Tokyo 102-0094, Japan
Tel: 03 – 3222 5198, Fax: 03 – 3222 5420


Registration Info

The lecture will be given in English. It will take place on Thursday, September 29th 2011 at 6.30 p.m. at the DIJ.
Admission is free but please register by email with:

Sustainability Issues in the Super-Aged Society - Prospecting the “Platinum Society”

September 29, 2011 / 6.30 P.M.

Hiroshi Komiyama, Chairman of the Institute, Mitsubishi Research Institute

In the 21st century, we human beings are facing a new paradigm: the earth’s limited resources, the aging of society and the explosion of intelligence. The Japanese government conditionally confirmed that Japan will submit to 25% greenhouse gas (GHG) reduction by 2020 on 1990 levels under the committee of ministries.  The target is achievable. 57% of Japan’s energy consumption occurs in “daily life” activities; i.e. household, commercial and transportation sectors.  The remaining 43% of consumption occurs in the manufacturing sectors.  GHG reduction in daily life will be possible in Japan still more.  In addition to GHG concerns, we need to address many problems under the paradigm.  I propose the concept of the “Platinum Society”.  It is a society where environmental problems are solved and elderly persons can live a lively life.  Development of “Platinum Society” enhances competitiveness of industries and supports economic growth.

To realize the “Platinum society”, we need to launch a new action in community bases. I propose the “Platinum network”, an experimental platform for developing the “Platinum society” in collaboration with local municipalities.

Hiroshi Komiyama became Chairman of the Institute of Mitsubishi Research Institute, Inc. and President Emeritus at the University of Tokyo in April 2009, after completing a four-year presidency at the University of Tokyo. Dr. Komiyama received his Bachelor’s, Master’s, and Doctoral degrees all from the University of Tokyo in chemical engineering respectively in 1967, 1969, and 1972. From 1973 to 1974, he was a post doctoral fellow at the University of California at Davis. Dr. Komiyama specializes in chemical engineering, advanced material engineering, and global environment engineering. His research work and papers have received awards three times from the Society of Chemical Engineers of Japan.

Related Research Projects

Challenges of Demographic Change